My Research in the News:
- Cockroft, Steph. The basic plots of fiction: Professor who analysed 40,000 novels claims there are just SIX possible storylines. The Daily Mail. Feb 26, 2015.
- Whipple, Tom. Plot Device. The Times UK. Feb 26, 2015.
- Whipple, Tom. Computer reads between the lines and finds there are only six plots. The Times UK. Feb. 26, 2015. [Print edition, page 17]
- Rothfeld, Becca. Plotting Your Favorite Novels. Feb. 25, 2015.
- Richard, Claire. Tous les romans utilisent les six mêmes intrigues. Rue89. Feb. 10, 2015.
- Sankaranarayanan, Aruna. Knowledge knows no boundaries. The Hindu. Feb 8, 2015.
- Smith, David. Finding the dramatic arc of novels with sentiment analysis. Revolutions. Feb. 6, 2015 (also on R-bloggers and inside-R).
- Piepembring, Dan. Turning Novels’ Plots into Data Points. The Paris Review. Feb. 4, 2015.
- Richmond, Ben. There Are Six Basic Book Plots, According to Computers. Motherboard. Feb. 3, 2015.
- Richmond, Ben. What Computers Can and Won’t Tell Us About Who Wrote Shakespeare’s Plays. Motherboard. Jan. 21, 2015.
- Jan-Friele. Distant reading wint het van close reading. De Volkskrant. 27 December 2014.
- Caldwell, Rob. Interview on the 207 at WCSH in Maine. April 18, 2014.
- de Kock, Leon. The Digital What? February 24, 2014
- Lohr, Steve. Dickens, Austen and Twain, Through a Digital Lens. The New York Times. January 26, 2013.
- Howard, Jennifer. Down in the Mines. The Times Literary Supplement. November 29, 2013.
- Guzzetta, Giorgio. Jockers, Matthew L. Macroanalysis: Digital Methods and Literary History. Digital Studies / Le champ numérique. Volume 4: (2013)
- Wilkins, Matthew. An Impossible Number of Books: Matthew L. Jockers’s ‘Macroanalysis.’ Los Angeles Review of Books. (August 16th, 2013)
- Yang Min. Digital Humanities: new thinking paradigm shift in the humanities[数字人文：人文学科范式转变新思路]. China Social Sciences TodayJune 24, 2013 No. 466.
- Moravec, Michelle A Historian Reads Macroanalysis(June 9, 2013)
- Applying Digital Humanities techniques to Genre Studies. Becoming the Writer’s Accomplice: Navigating digital humanities and a PhD in English. (May 11, 2013)
- Howard, Brian G. Fiction Science. Book Business. (May 2013).
- McLemee, Scott. Crunching Literature. Inside Higher Ed. (May 1, 2013 – 3:00am).
- Long, Christian. anecdotal reaction to macroanalysis. christianlong.org. (April 27, 2013)
- Weingart, Scott. Liveblogged Review of Macroanalysis by Matthew L. Jockers, Part 2. (4/15/13).
- Weingart, Scott. Liveblogged Review of Macroanalysis by Matthew L. Jockers, Part 1. (4/14/13).
- Goodwin, Jonathan. Recent Developments in Humanities Topic Modeling: Matthew Jockers’s Macroanalysis and the Journal of Digital Humanities. (4/13/13).
- Laidlaw, Chris. Austen and Eve. Radio New Zealand. March 3, 2013.
- Abourezk, Kevin. Mining Digital Literature. Lincoln Journal Star. March 1, 2013.
- Harlow, John. I Say Miss Bennet, Godot has Named Austen as Queen. The Sunday Times of London. February 3, 2013
- Heilbrun, Margaret. Editors’ Spring Picks: Titles That Have Gotten Us Talking. Library Journal. (2/18/13)
- Piper, Andrew. Literary Lab MLA Wrap-Up #3. CitLab. University of McGill. January 22, 2013.
- LaDue Emily. liteRatuRe. theoRy. macRo. gRaph. (aRt?) Ready. stat. Culturelab, Annenberg School for Communication, University of Pennsylvania. January 11, 2013.
- Pannapacker, William. Rebooting Graduate Education in the Humanities. Chronicle of Higher Education. Tuesday, January 8, 2013.
- Westra, Maren. UNL Professor Finds Patterns Among Novels Using Digital Analysis. The Daily Nebraskan. September 10, 2012.
- By text-mining the classics, UNL prof unearths new literary insights. UNL News Blog. Thursday, August 23rd, 2012.
- Coldewey, Devin. Data mining the classics makes for beautiful science. Future of Tech. NBC News. August 20, 2012.
- Clark, Liat. Novel Text Analysis Uses PageRank to Identify Influential Victorian Authors. Wired, August 17, 2012.
- Giles, Jim. Software Reveals the most Influential Victorian Novelists. New Scientist, August 8, 2012.
- Wineberg, David. Review of Macroanalysis: Digital Methods and Literary History. LibraryThing. (2/7/13).
- Stoddart, Charlotte. Digital Humanities: Interview with Matthew Jockers. Nature Podcast. Nature Publishing Group. October 4, 2012.
- Science Daily.
- Montcrieff, Sean. Data Mining the Classics: Interview with Matthew Jockers. Newstalk Ireland, August 29th, 2012.
- Newer, Rachael. Data Mining the Classics Clusters Women Authors Together, Put Melville Out on a Raft. Smithsonian. August 27, 2012.
- Nyelv és Tudimany. A legbefolyásosabb viktoriánus regényíró August 21, 2012.
- Kofman, Nicole, Recasting the Humanities Through ‘Distant Reading.’ The Stanford Daily, November, 28, 2011.
- Patricia Cohen, Computing, Rather Than, Absorbing Novels. New York Times, December 4, 2010.
- Maggie Beidelman, Digitizing the Humanities. Palo Alto Patch, December 2, 2010.
- Haven, Cynthia, Non-consumptive research? Text mining? Welcome to the hotspot of humanities research at Stanford. Stanford Report, December 1, 2010.
- Roque, Antonio. Digital Humanities and Language Technology, IEEE, Signal Processing Society Newsletter, July 2010.
- Crunching Words in Great Numbers. Chronicle of Higher Education, June 3, 2010.
- Stanford Students Use Digital Tools to Analyze Classic Texts. The Human Experience: Inside the Humanities At Stanford. May 21, 2010.
- Bourbeau, Sharon. Interview with Matthew Jockers. College Connection, Produced by the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education. June 12, 2010. Discussion of macroanalysis and how literary scholars are tapping into digital libraries. (Interview begins at minute 8:16)
- Parry, Marc. The Humanities Go Google. Chronicle of Higher Education, May 28, 2010.
- Parry, Marc. Google Starts Grant Program for Studies of Its Digitized Books. Chronicle of Higher Education, March 31, 2010.
- Shea, Christopher. The Geography of Irish-American Lit. Boston Globe, Online Edition, July 30, 2008.
- Howard, Jennifer. Literary Geospaces. Chronicle of Higher Education, August 1, 2008.
- The Bard in Bits and Bytes. Stanford Magazine. Stanford University, March/April 2007.
- Text Analysis Developers Alliance Blog, Data Analysis Tools Mine Literary Data Sets. May 2005.
- Irish-American Culture and Literature. March 17, 1993. KFKA Radio, Greeley, Colorado.